[Foundation-l] Status of flagged protection (flagged revisions) for English Wikipedia.

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen cimonavaro at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 15:25:22 UTC 2009

Andrew Gray wrote:

> I believe that "scalable" here refers to putting it on pages which
> recieve the kind of traffic and editing (or editing attempts) that
> very high-profile page on enwiki do, rather than "scalable to being
> applied to three million pages".
>
> At the time Michael Jackson's death was being reported last month, for
> example, the page was recieving hundreds of thousands if not millions
> of hits; we protected it. Had we flagged-protected it - which we
> probably would have done - what would have happened? Would the system
> have coped? Would we have been able to handle that flood of edits,
> technically and organisationally?

Sincere thanks for clarifying that for me (also thanks
to Chad and Anthony for useful explanations).

"Tech-speak" can be mildly confusing for us who may not
fully always appreciate the very narrow definitions some
terms in it have. I expect for some folks "lawyer-speak" is
very much the same.

Indeed I fully agree that ensuring that using the extension
on massively edited pages is something that works fine, is
entirely prudent; whereas ensuring perfect functionality
for the full force of the extension for application on
all English wikipedia pages, is probably less so.

Yours,

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen