[Foundation-l] strategic planning process update

Brian Brian.Mingus at colorado.edu
Mon Sep 14 21:52:31 UTC 2009

On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 3:42 PM, Eugene Eric Kim <eekim at blueoxen.com> wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> For those of you who don't know me, I'm leading the Wikimedia
> strategic planning process. Our goal is to develop a five-year
> strategic plan through an open community process that is going on
> right now and that will go on through July 2010. We're trying to
> answer three questions:
>
> * Where do we want to see the Wikimedia movement in five years?
> * Where is it now?
> * How should we get from here to there?
>
> The hub for this conversation has naturally been a wiki:
> <http://strategy.wikimedia.org/>. It's been up for about two months
> now, and we've already gotten an incredible amount of engagement
> there. We've also been holding regular IRC office hours (as most
> followers of this list know), and Philippe Beaudette, the facilitator
> of this project, has been tirelessly talking with many people and
> evangelizing the project.
>
> We're now moving into a phase where we're going to be encouraging even
> greater participation. This Wednesday, we'll be putting out a broad
> Call for Participation, advertised through the Central Notice, which
> means that anyone accessing any of the Wikimedia project sites will
> see it.
>
> I wanted to make sure that all of you were aware that this is
> happening, and I wanted to point you to a few links that explain this
> in more detail.
>
> http://strategy.wikimedia.org/wiki/Process
> http://strategy.wikimedia.org/wiki/Task_forces
>
> In the meantime, if you have any questions or thoughts, please share
> them, either on the strategy wiki, here on this mailing list, or with
> me or Philippe directly. Thank you!
>
> =Eugene
>
> --
> Eugene Eric Kim ................................ http://xri.net/=eekim
> Blue Oxen Associates ........................ http://www.blueoxen.com/

This is great to hear and I am very curious to see how it turns out. It's
too bad Special:Statistics can't show you basic information over time. To
facilitate before/after comparisons, as of now: 372 content pages; 4,118
pages; 30,382 edits; 1,870 registered users; 682 active users.

This is of course a quantitative vs. qualitative assessment, and more
interesting will be the strategy that emerges from thoughtful interaction
between the community and the foundation.