[Foundation-l] strategic planning process update

Eugene Eric Kim eekim at blueoxen.com
Mon Sep 14 22:48:08 UTC 2009

On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 2:52 PM, Brian <Brian.Mingus at colorado.edu> wrote:
> This is great to hear and I am very curious to see how it turns out.

Me too. :-)

> It's
> too bad Special:Statistics can't show you basic information over time. To
> facilitate before/after comparisons, as of now: 372 content pages; 4,118
> pages; 30,382 edits; 1,870 registered users; 682 active users.

Joe Blaylock has been writing tools to help us understand this
information. They're available under the GPL and are at:

http://github.com/jrbl/CollabStats

Not sure if Joe's on this list, but if he isn't, I can point him to
relevant conversations. The tools are still rough, and there's stuff
that can and should be done. Would definitely love it if folks would
be willing to volunteer their time to help us evolve these tools.
Contact me off-list.

Once we have this information more easily available, we'll post it
regularly somewhere.

> This is of course a quantitative vs. qualitative assessment, and more
> interesting will be the strategy that emerges from thoughtful interaction
> between the community and the foundation.

Not sure what your definition of "the community" is. There are lots of
parties that need to be involved: project contributors and other
independent Wikimedians, the foundation, the chapters, developers,
readers, and so forth. But I agree with your overall point about
assessing this process.

And of course, there's a space to discuss this on the Wiki. :-)

http://strategy.wikimedia.org/wiki/Process/Evaluation

Thanks for the feedback, Brian!

=Eugene