[Foundation-l] strategic planning process update

Eugene Eric Kim eekim at blueoxen.com
Mon Sep 14 21:42:40 UTC 2009

Hi everybody,

For those of you who don't know me, I'm leading the Wikimedia
strategic planning process. Our goal is to develop a five-year
strategic plan through an open community process that is going on
right now and that will go on through July 2010. We're trying to
answer three questions:

* Where do we want to see the Wikimedia movement in five years?
* Where is it now?
* How should we get from here to there?

The hub for this conversation has naturally been a wiki:
<http://strategy.wikimedia.org/>. It's been up for about two months
now, and we've already gotten an incredible amount of engagement
there. We've also been holding regular IRC office hours (as most
followers of this list know), and Philippe Beaudette, the facilitator
of this project, has been tirelessly talking with many people and
evangelizing the project.

We're now moving into a phase where we're going to be encouraging even
greater participation. This Wednesday, we'll be putting out a broad
Call for Participation, advertised through the Central Notice, which
means that anyone accessing any of the Wikimedia project sites will
see it.

I wanted to make sure that all of you were aware that this is
happening, and I wanted to point you to a few links that explain this
in more detail.

http://strategy.wikimedia.org/wiki/Process
http://strategy.wikimedia.org/wiki/Task_forces

In the meantime, if you have any questions or thoughts, please share
them, either on the strategy wiki, here on this mailing list, or with
me or Philippe directly. Thank you!

=Eugene