[Foundation-l] Do we have a complete set of WMF projects?

jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com
Sat Sep 12 18:17:56 UTC 2009

On Sat, Sep 12, 2009 at 8:06 PM, Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 10:43 PM, Robert Rohde <rarohde at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Another idea that I encountered somewhere (not currently sure where)
>> was to create a global wiki directory to essentially replace the
>> yellow pages.  Something managed under a wiki model to include the
>> names, addresses, phone numbers, websites, and a short description of
>> any and all local businesses.  Commercial businesses are a fine
>> example of entities that are usually verifiable but not notable from
>> Wikipedia's point of view, and having a central repository of
>> directory information would generally be useful.  A crowd sourced
>> directory would suffer from the general problems of accuracy that all
>> our wikiprojects have to worry about, but probably has the potential
>> to include more comprehensive information than the commercial
>> providers can manage.
>

> This would be nice to tie in with OpenStreetMap, so that amenity=fast_food (
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dfast_food) could be
> additionally tagged with something like
> guid=309FAF94-9FC6-11DE-A978-099455D89593, and then
> http://xx.local.wikimedia.org/wiki/309FAF94-9FC6-11DE-A978-099455D89593would
> have the directory information (in the xx language).  The wiki would
> probably contain lots of information not included in OSM (OSM are IMHO a
> little bit overly copyright-paranoid), but in theory one could make a
> smartphone app which lets you find the nearest fast food restaurants (OSM),
> take you to a description page for the nearest one (wiki), provide driving
> directions (OSM)...

You have this directory already!
Just extract all the deleted articles that are not notible.
you will have all the small business that got deleted.

In fact that is the biggest pain that people face, they get deleted.
We need some way to keep pages from being deleted, but moved.

Wikilocal,
Wikiunnotable
Wikitrivia
Wikihometown

these are the types of things that I would like to see.
Something that lowers the notibility and allows clubs, bands and cafes
to become listed, but maintaining the wikipedia level of neutrality.

When I was in Prizren, Kosovo, I took pictures of every street intersection.
There are lots of shops and places that would never make it to the
wikipedia but would be interesting to someone who wants to visit the
place.

here are some of my dumps in the archive.org :
http://www.archive.org/details/KosovoPrizren4
http://www.archive.org/details/KosovoPrizren3
http://www.archive.org/details/KosovoPrizren2
http://www.archive.org/details/KosovoPrizren

Also have started to create articles for the most famous religious
buildings. What would be nice is to put all the streets on there.
Even to put some streets from OSM in the wiki sure why not?

Was just playing this online monopoly game, some of our work on OSM in
kosovo is now showing up there :
http://img11.yfrog.com/i/bildschirmfoto1h.png/