[Foundation-l] Do we have a complete set of WMF projects?

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Sat Sep 12 18:06:34 UTC 2009

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 10:43 PM, Robert Rohde <rarohde at gmail.com> wrote:

> Another idea that I encountered somewhere (not currently sure where)
> was to create a global wiki directory to essentially replace the
> yellow pages.  Something managed under a wiki model to include the
> names, addresses, phone numbers, websites, and a short description of
> any and all local businesses.  Commercial businesses are a fine
> example of entities that are usually verifiable but not notable from
> Wikipedia's point of view, and having a central repository of
> directory information would generally be useful.  A crowd sourced
> directory would suffer from the general problems of accuracy that all
> our wikiprojects have to worry about, but probably has the potential
> to include more comprehensive information than the commercial
> providers can manage.

This would be nice to tie in with OpenStreetMap, so that amenity=fast_food (
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dfast_food) could be
additionally tagged with something like
guid=309FAF94-9FC6-11DE-A978-099455D89593, and then
http://xx.local.wikimedia.org/wiki/309FAF94-9FC6-11DE-A978-099455D89593would
have the directory information (in the xx language).  The wiki would
probably contain lots of information not included in OSM (OSM are IMHO a
little bit overly copyright-paranoid), but in theory one could make a
smartphone app which lets you find the nearest fast food restaurants (OSM),
take you to a description page for the nearest one (wiki), provide driving
directions (OSM)...