[Foundation-l] Do we have a complete set of WMF projects?

jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com
Sat Sep 12 02:40:10 UTC 2009

On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 1:00 AM, Brion Vibber <brion at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> On 9/8/09 3:56 PM, Thomas Dalton wrote:
>> 2009/9/8 Pedro Sanchez<pdsanchez at gmail.com>:
>>> Geographical/atlas/map kind ofproject
>>>
>>> granted, there's wikimapia and other external equivalents
>>> but we (Wikimedia) are lacking it
>>
>> Is there any point us doing something that already exists? What would
>> be better about a Wikimedia version?
>
> Our current direction is to coordinate with external resources rather
> than create them from scratch, where we've got compatible goals and ideals.
>
> For instance, rather than creating our own map system from scratch we're
> working with OpenStreetMap to integrate mapping, using our own rendering
> servers with a copy of the public data and making it easier to stick
> maps in wiki pages for starters, with easier ways to get into the
> upstream system to improve location name translations and mapping data.

I have been following the map-l and openstreetmap closely.
There was a status report posted just recently:
http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/maps-l/2009-September/000270.html

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/OpenStreetMap

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Geographical_coordinates

Also there is a big discussion on the idea that wikipedia data can be
imported into openstreetmap, because supposedly the coordinates from
Wikipedia are copied from non free sources.:
http://www.nabble.com/Wikipedia-POI-import--td23392791.html

In my opinion, What is really missing for example is the ability to
find all the articles that occur in a geographic location.

I would like to see all the articles about Beijing for example, but it
is not easy. Google provides some of this, but it could be better.

On a different dimension, time not space :

another project that I would like to see it a WikiTimeLine
It would be great to be able to extract all the data references out of
the wikipedia articles and put the on a time line.

mike

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Mdupont