[Foundation-l] Do we have a complete set of WMF projects?

Robert Rohde rarohde at gmail.com
Sat Sep 12 03:01:38 UTC 2009

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 7:40 PM, jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com
<jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com> wrote:
<snip>

> In my opinion, What is really missing for example is the ability to
> find all the articles that occur in a geographic location.
>
> I would like to see all the articles about Beijing for example, but it
> is not easy. Google provides some of this, but it could be better.

<snip>

I've seriously thought about implementing this.  Enhancing the
existing coordinate templates by creating a searchable coordinates
table in the database would not be a difficult thing.  It requires a
bit of thought and effort to make it efficient, but the underlying
idea is simple.  Locating nearby articles (and geocoded images) could
have a lot of uses.

-Robert Rohde