[Foundation-l] Do we have a complete set of WMF projects?

Brion Vibber brion at wikimedia.org
Tue Sep 8 23:00:19 UTC 2009

On 9/8/09 3:56 PM, Thomas Dalton wrote:
> 2009/9/8 Pedro Sanchez<pdsanchez at gmail.com>:
>> Geographical/atlas/map kind ofproject
>>
>> granted, there's wikimapia and other external equivalents
>> but we (Wikimedia) are lacking it
>
> Is there any point us doing something that already exists? What would
> be better about a Wikimedia version?

Our current direction is to coordinate with external resources rather
than create them from scratch, where we've got compatible goals and ideals.

For instance, rather than creating our own map system from scratch we're
working with OpenStreetMap to integrate mapping, using our own rendering
servers with a copy of the public data and making it easier to stick
maps in wiki pages for starters, with easier ways to get into the
upstream system to improve location name translations and mapping data.

-- brion