[Foundation-l] Report to the Board of Trustees June 2009-

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 01:26:53 UTC 2009

2009/9/11 Jennifer Riggs <jriggs at wikimedia.org>:
> However the word and concept of "frugality" differs significantly across
> cultures. In my experience with many non-Western cultures, asking people
> to bring lunch from home or spend their own money for it would not only
> exclude participation, it would insult people. If the purpose is to
> encourage participation and commitment to a newly forming organization,
> it seems it would be very important not to insult people.

If we were talking about meetings with people from outside the
Wikimedia movement, I would agree with you, but I really can't see how
it can be insulting not to provide food at a meeting of Wikimedians
when the people attending the meeting and the people organising the
meeting are exactly the same people. If people are only willing to set
up a chapter if the WMF buys them lunch once a month, I don't want
those people setting up a chapter.