[Foundation-l] Considerations for museums and archives to gain their cooperation

Yaroslav M. Blanter putevod at mccme.ru
Mon Mar 30 15:13:07 UTC 2009

> Hoi.
> I am talking to a few museums and archives and several of them are
> interested in considering Commons for their collection. At the same time
> they are also considering Flickr.

I am not sure I understand the issue.

If we are talking about PD material, whether it is hosted on Flickr, on
the website of the museum or elsewhere, we can still use it and upload on
Commons (possibly by a bot). Example: Finnish National Gallery
http://www.ateneum.fi/ has on its site virtually all canvasses and many of
the graphic works it possesses, which gives a good overview of Finnish
painting in general. I do not see why those images which are PD can not be
uploaded on Commons. Same would apply if they hosted on Flickr.

If material is not PD, it can not be uploaded.

What is wrong with this reasoning?

Cheers
Yaroslav