[Foundation-l] [Commons-l] Considerations for museums and archives to gain their cooperation

Mathias Schindler mathias.schindler at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 06:42:35 UTC 2009

2009/3/30 Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com>:

> My question is, will it be acceptable when a museum or archive provides us
> with their material and when we learn about a request to take down material,
> we do this when requested by the copyright holder.  This is not considered
> an issue with Flickr !!

A museum should be having no problem providing us with material in
these two scenarios:

1. The image is PD
2. The image is subject to copyright and the museum owns all required
rights of usage/copyrights to release the image under a free license

If the image is subject to copyright and the museum is unable to
provide these rights of usage, it is not suitable for Wikimedia
Commons.

Mathias