[Foundation-l] Considerations for museums and archives to gain their cooperation

Pedro Sanchez pdsanchez at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 15:15:01 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 9:13 AM, Yaroslav M. Blanter <putevod at mccme.ru>wrote:

> I am not sure I understand the issue.
>
> If we are talking about PD material, whether it is hosted on Flickr, on
> the website of the museum or elsewhere, we can still use it and upload on
> Commons (possibly by a bot). Example: Finnish National Gallery
> http://www.ateneum.fi/ has on its site virtually all canvasses and many of
> the graphic works it possesses, which gives a good overview of Finnish
> painting in general. I do not see why those images which are PD can not be
> uploaded on Commons. Same would apply if they hosted on Flickr.
>
> If material is not PD, it can not be uploaded.
>
> What is wrong with this reasoning?
>
> Cheers
> Yaroslav

I'm still puzzled on what is the right thing to do with

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:Undelete/File:Shakespeare.jpg

which was deleted twice and then reuploaded.

When a museum claims to own copyright on a several hundred years piece, do
we concede?
I recall seeing many cases of bogus copyright claims being dismissed and
file kept on Commons. So what happened there?