[Foundation-l] Licensing transition: opposing points of view

Nikola Smolenski smolensk at eunet.yu
Sat Mar 21 05:19:12 UTC 2009

Дана Friday 20 March 2009 23:11:17 Michael Snow написа:
> Nikola Smolenski wrote:
> > Дана Friday 20 March 2009 06:59:35 Michael Snow написа:
> >>
> >> Just because one method is reasonable does not mean that all others are
> >> unreasonable.
> >
> > Has anyone said that?
>
> Not necessarily in so many words. But for proponents of the
> "all-authors" approach to attribution, an inherent part of the subtext

I am not a proponent of an all-authors approach to attribution, and I do not
know anyone who is. As I have said multiple times, I believe that it is
possible through software means to determine a list of key authors (all
authors whose contributions are copyrightable) with sufficient accuracy, and
that such a list would be reasonable from the point of view of authors, and
also short enough that it would be reasonable from the point of view of
reusers, and should be recommended to reusers.

> By comparison, Erik only said that people had over-attributed
> historically. He didn't say it was unreasonable of them to
> over-attribute, nor do I think that should be implied in what he said.

When you are over-something, it means that you are doing more of it than you
should. Usually it is not reasonable to behave like that.