[Foundation-l] Licensing transition: opposing points of view

Michael Snow wikipedia at verizon.net
Mon Mar 23 01:13:50 UTC 2009

Nikola Smolenski wrote:
> Дана Friday 20 March 2009 23:11:17 Michael Snow написа:
>
>> By comparison, Erik only said that people had over-attributed
>> historically. He didn't say it was unreasonable of them to
>> over-attribute, nor do I think that should be implied in what he said.
>>
> When you are over-something, it means that you are doing more of it than you
> should. Usually it is not reasonable to behave like that.

More of it than you need to, not more of it than you should. There is no
value judgment that people should not over-attribute, only that they
should not be required to. The unreasonableness applies to the
requirement, not the behavior. Doing more than is required can be
reasonable nevertheless. If I'm asked to pluck five apples off a tree
and instead I pick ten, that may well be reasonable, perhaps I was
hungry. Whether it's an abundance of caution or some motivation
independent of the requirement, there are plenty of legitimate reasons
that people decide to exceed minimum requirements.

--Michael Snow