[Foundation-l] Request for your input: biographies of living people

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Mon Mar 2 18:50:33 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 12:29 PM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com>wrote:

> 2009/3/2 Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org>:
> >> Flagged Revs is an excellent way of dealing with vandalism to BLPs,
> >>  technical solutions to more subtle problems are a little trickier.
> >> Flagged Revs could be used with addition levels - a "free of
> >> vandalism" level and a "well balanced, fact-checked and free of
> >> anything remotely libellous" level. Two separate levels are necessary
> >> since the 2nd takes far too long to be a practical vandal fighting
> >> tool - I'm not sure which level would be shown by default to whom,
> >> that needs to be worked out.
> >>

> > Another good idea, but how would an article be accepted as "well
> balanced"?
> > You just can't write about a topic which has any level of controversy and
> > come up with an article which everyone will agree is "well balanced".  No
> > matter what you write, someone is going to have a problem with it, so
> > marking an article as "well balanced" is more likely to increase the
> > complaints rather than reduce them.  I think Citizendium's "approved
> > articles" is about the best you can do in this type of situation, and
> their
> > articles certainly aren't "well balanced".
>
> Of course, the terms need to be well defined, I was being
> intentionally vague about that part because it requires significant
> discussion and debate that I don't think we want to get into now.
> Citizendium's "approved articles" are the equivalent of (not exactly
> the same as, though) our "featured articles" - we don't want to
> require all BLPs to be featured, that would never work!

Citizendium's "approved articles" is similar in goal to Wikipedia's
"featured articles", but the process is very very different.  If adopted by
Wikipedia (and I highly doubt it would be), it would be *much* more scalable
than the current "featured articles" system.  That said, I didn't think your
proposal was to "require all BLPs to be [flagged as well balanced]".

As for your vagueness, well, I think the implementation is the key to
flagged revisions.