[Foundation-l] Request for your input: biographies of living people

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 17:29:50 UTC 2009

2009/3/2 Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org>:
>> Flagged Revs is an excellent way of dealing with vandalism to BLPs,
>>  technical solutions to more subtle problems are a little trickier.
>> Flagged Revs could be used with addition levels - a "free of
>> vandalism" level and a "well balanced, fact-checked and free of
>> anything remotely libellous" level. Two separate levels are necessary
>> since the 2nd takes far too long to be a practical vandal fighting
>> tool - I'm not sure which level would be shown by default to whom,
>> that needs to be worked out.
>>

> Another good idea, but how would an article be accepted as "well balanced"?
> You just can't write about a topic which has any level of controversy and
> come up with an article which everyone will agree is "well balanced".  No
> matter what you write, someone is going to have a problem with it, so
> marking an article as "well balanced" is more likely to increase the
> complaints rather than reduce them.  I think Citizendium's "approved
> articles" is about the best you can do in this type of situation, and their
> articles certainly aren't "well balanced".

Of course, the terms need to be well defined, I was being
intentionally vague about that part because it requires significant
discussion and debate that I don't think we want to get into now.
Citizendium's "approved articles" are the equivalent of (not exactly
the same as, though) our "featured articles" - we don't want to
require all BLPs to be featured, that would never work!