[Foundation-l] "antisocial production" & pt:wiki policies

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Tue Jun 30 04:53:37 UTC 2009

Steven Walling wrote:
> 1. You're wrong. Just today I myself received some kind words offlist, but
> related to a thread. Just because you're not getting the air of friendliness
> you desire (at this moment anyway), doesn't mean friendliness doesn't exist.

Getting friendly words offlist, says nothing about the list.  I'm sure
that we all are more friendly with some than with others, so there's
nothing unusual about private messages.  It's much easier to say
something to someone privately; there is less risk of needing to defend
every point that you are raising, less risk that some detail might be
taken adversarially.
> 2. It's a mailing list for discussion and debate, not an outlet for personal
> validation. If you don't like being debated and disagreed with, then don't
> post your opinions on something. I personally find asking questions rather
> than making statements tends to garner a gentler response, if you're in need
> of one.

Conflationist nonsense!  One of the problems is precisely that those who
don't like being bullied don't post, because that shuts out an entire
range of opinions from those who are more thoughtful than loud.  There's
a problem with just asking questions too. If what you want is a dose of
paternalistic pablum, that's exactly what you'll get.  Attend a
political (or some other) speech that is followed by a "question
period", and there is an implicit social barrier between you and the
speaker.  If you know he's wrong you still have to concede that he is in
a position to shout louder.
> 3. All mailing lists are at times more hostile than any real life
> conversation. It's far from unique to Wikimedia lists, and I've seen
> *far*more angry flame wars on other mailing lists. If it's a problem
> of the
> medium of mailing lists and not of Wikimedian culture, then there's nothing
> we could change about our culture that would make a mailing list more
> friendly. I for one see us as already going out of our way to try and be a
> culture that welcomes open discussion free of insulting behavior.

It's not just mailing lists.  Perhaps our worst offenders don't even
participate in the mailing lists.  Mailing lists are certainly less
hostile than those in-your-face real life situations that encourage
violence.  Perhaps too, those who shout here wouldn't have the courage
to express their real feelings in person to their opponents.  Going out
of one's way is primarily a reflection of individual efforts, and we do
have some such individuals.  It doesn't generalize well into a community
effort.

Ec