[Foundation-l] "antisocial production" & pt:wiki policies

Steven Walling steven.walling at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 02:10:43 UTC 2009

1. You're wrong. Just today I myself received some kind words offlist, but
related to a thread. Just because you're not getting the air of friendliness
you desire (at this moment anyway), doesn't mean friendliness doesn't exist.

2. It's a mailing list for discussion and debate, not an outlet for personal
validation. If you don't like being debated and disagreed with, then don't
post your opinions on something. I personally find asking questions rather
than making statements tends to garner a gentler response, if you're in need
of one.

3. All mailing lists are at times more hostile than any real life
conversation. It's far from unique to Wikimedia lists, and I've seen
*far*more angry flame wars on other mailing lists. If it's a problem
of the
medium of mailing lists and not of Wikimedian culture, then there's nothing
we could change about our culture that would make a mailing list more
friendly. I for one see us as already going out of our way to try and be a
culture that welcomes open discussion free of insulting behavior.

Steven Walling

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 7:01 PM, Nathan <nawrich at gmail.com> wrote:

> The most significant problem, Virgilio, is that there isn't too much people
> on this list can do. Unless and until problems become so clear that steward
> or Foundation action are obviously called for, there is unlikely to be much
> concrete action at all. Since we can't impose a solution to the problems
> you've identified from afar, and most of us can neither verify these
> problems nor participate in fixing them without speaking the language...
> What else should we do?
>
> You're right, though, that exchanges on this list aren't always very
> friendly. Maybe because very few discussions are actually productive, and
> outside of cooperative effort most friendly exchanges are more likely to be
> taken off-list.
>
> Nathan

Steven Walling | @StevenWalling
mobile: 360.606.2930