[Foundation-l] Iran?

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sat Jun 20 21:07:30 UTC 2009

Milos Rancic wrote:
> I've got the first report. There are no information that something
> happened to any Wikimedian.
>
> Take a look at [1]. I don't expect bigger scale problems in Iran, but
> not just because of that analysis. Except theocratic structures,
> preset situation in Iran reminds me a lot to the situation in Serbia
> during late period of Milosevic. State structures without connection
> to reality have to reform themselves or they'll be replaced.
> Fortunately, [ordinary] Iranians don't want war because still fresh
> memories to war between Iraq and Iran. The situation was similar in
> 2000 in Serbia.
>
> [1] - http://www.ted.com/talks/bruce_bueno_de_mesquita_predicts_iran_s_future.html

Nuclear weaponry in Iran may a concern to powerful western countries,
but I don't see it as being a major factor in the country's internal
politics.
  While there may very well have been widespread fraud, that alone
wouldn't be enough to explain away a 29 percentage point spread.  A
strong line of national security scare-mongering is always good source
of votes in the less educated parts of a country. We hear a lot about
what is happening in Tehran, but very little about the rest of the country.

Ec