[Foundation-l] Iran?

Robert Rohde rarohde at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 22:26:55 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jun 20, 2009 at 2:07 PM, Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net> wrote:

>  While there may very well have been widespread fraud, that alone
> wouldn't be enough to explain away a 29 percentage point spread.  A
> strong line of national security scare-mongering is always good source
> of votes in the less educated parts of a country. We hear a lot about
> what is happening in Tehran, but very little about the rest of the country.

It's easy to explain any margin you want when there are no monitors, no
reporting of local tallies, and vote aggregation is controlled by a small
group in one government agency.  It's basically a matter of changing numbers
in a spreadsheet.

Regardless of what actually happened, it is pretty clear that the process of
voting in Iran lacks the fundamental transparency necessary to provide
confidence in the results.

-Robert Rohde