[Foundation-l] Google Translate now assists with human translations of Wikipedia articles

Amir E. Aharoni amir.aharoni at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 21:13:07 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 23:42, Brian<Brian.Mingus at colorado.edu> wrote:
> Google has built in support for using its machine translation technology to
> help bootstrap human translations of Wikipedia articles.
>
> http://translate.google.com/toolkit/docupload
>
> The benefit to Google is clear - they need sentence-aligned text in multiple
> languages in order to bootstrap their automated system.
>
> This is a great example of machines helping people help machines help
> people, etc... I'm sure this is now the most efficient way to produce high
> quality translations of Wikipedia articles en masse.
>
> We should take the ToS to make sure the translated text can be CC-BY-SA
> licensed.

Machine translation in its current status is so useless for anything
beyond ordering Opera Garnier tickets, that the copyright status of
its output is not quite relevant and i don't expect this to change in
the next fifty years.

--
אמיר אלישע אהרוני

heb: http://haharoni.wordpress.com | eng: http://aharoni.wordpress.com