[Foundation-l] Britain or Ukraine? What UK stands for in Wikimedia jargon

Pavlo Shevelo pavlo.shevelo at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 18:25:08 UTC 2009

>> I don't get it why elimination depends on hosting.
>
> I'm not sure how the WMF servers are set up, it might be possible to
> direct our domain directly at their servers... Worth looking into.

Please look into as move to own servers will not be in nearest weeks.
As to the best of my understanding:
* domain name management is separate (from hosting) thing.
* technically both uk.wikimedia.org and wikimedia.org.uk are very
similar things.
Now (according to your explanation) uk.wikimedia.org is linked to your
chapter wiki (using IP address I guess), while  wikimedia.org.uk is
redirection to former.
There should not be any real problem to link wikimedia.org.uk directly
to Wikimedia UK chapter wiki (wherever it's hosted).