[Foundation-l] Britain or Ukraine? What UK stands for in Wikimedia jargon

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 17:57:47 UTC 2009

2009/7/22 Pavlo Shevelo <pavlo.shevelo at gmail.com>:
>> ... At some point we will probably want to set
>> up our own server(s) and then the confusion will be eliminated.
>
> I don't get it why elimination depends on hosting.

I'm not sure how the WMF servers are set up, it might be possible to
direct our domain directly at their servers... Worth looking into.

> Anyhow is it possible to have some explicit estimation about when "at
> some point" could happen?

Not really. It depends on both when we have the funds to do it
(hopefully in the next year) and when we feel we would gain
significantly from it (which could be longer - at the moment the WMF's
setup works perfectly well for us).

> let me ask one sorta side question:
> Now, when Wikimedia UK wiki is hosted on WMF resources you have a
> luxury of SUL support. Do you have any idea whether it will be still
> possible when you will move to your own server(s)?

Good question. I don't know. I would guess not - it would require our
servers to have a connection to the WMF database server...