[Foundation-l] The reality of printing a poster

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Fri Jan 30 18:06:11 UTC 2009

Gerard Meijssen wrote:
> When I print a poster, and the license and the contributors have to be
> printed on it as well, the image of the picture is spoiled for me. This
> would be a reason for me to return the printed poster. So let us be
> practical, WHERE do you want to have all the information that is so dear to
> you? What are the costs and is this feasible.. Are you not killing the goose
> that lays the golden eggs ?
It could be in a discrete line at the bottom of the poster.  Just how
much information should be there remains an open question, but there
should be enough for the owner of the printed poster or successive
future owners to determine the copyright status of the picture.
Somewhere down the line an owner may want to republish the picture
(admittedly with reduced quality), but the chain of free licensing will
have been broken.  Would we accept uploading such a picture with unknown
origins?

Ec