[Foundation-l] [Wikipedia-l] vro

Chad innocentkiller at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 14:29:07 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 9:11 AM, Lars Aronsson <lars at aronsson.se> wrote:

> Kjetil Lenes wrote:
>
> > If you consider Norwegian nynorsk to be a dialect, you have your
> > facts wrong. It is one of two written forms of norwegian, they
> > have the same legal standing.
>
> I'm not talking about dialects or legal standing. I'm talking
> about renaming thousands of URLs, breaking incoming links from
> other websites, for no good reason.  Once assigned, good URLs such
> as no.wikipedia.org and et.wikipedia.org should not be changed.
>
> ISO can decide tomorrow that English should be xy and French
> should be ab.  We shouldn't follow such changes.  It is a totally
> different issue that we consult ISO when we open a new project.

I agree wholeheartedly, and I believe I brought up the same
point last time around. If a language code that we already
use is changed by ISO, then we most certainly should not
be changing it. At least not without a very VERY strong
consensus to do so.

I'm all for following ISO for language names/codes, but to
follow it blindly without a dose of common sense--and to
decide that a project should be renamed without said
project's input--is just absurd.

-Chad