[Foundation-l] Commons and The Year of the Picture

Sam Johnston samj at samj.net
Fri Jan 23 01:21:10 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 2:33 PM, Gerard Meijssen
<gerard.meijssen at gmail.com>wrote:

> If you are of the opinion that things can be done differently, please
> explain how. A printer makes money, that is how he earns his crust. So how
> would non-profit printing work. Does it exist ? You are also under the
> impression that "we" are meeting our targets.. What do you know of the
> financial position of the French chapter and what do you know of its
> ambitions ?

However you cut it this is advertising pure and simple. Yes it's buried
behind a convenience function and I have no doubt the French chapter are
doing all manner of interesting and constructive things, but who's to decide
what is and what is not appropriate? If it's such a good idea, why is it not
deployed centrally (with appropriate policies) so all chapters can take
advantage of it (safely)?

Anyway how WMF interacts with its chapters is not the conversation I joined
the list to contribute to so I'll leave it to you guys to nut it out between
yourselves. Just bear in mind that the reputation of the organisation as a
whole is easily tarnished by the wrong well-intended initiative and the
proceeds are a drop in the ocean compared to what is raised by donation and
that a fraction of what is theoretically possible.

Sam (who's often enough in france to consider joining the chapter)