[Foundation-l] Board resolutions (chapters)

Ziko van Dijk zvandijk at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 20 15:34:39 UTC 2009

Thank you folks for the explanations, some things are getting clearer to me.

So "NCY chapter" is a bad naming, I see. I believed that it was not defined
geographically well, because I saw the map saying "

Approximate region of operations of Wikimedia New York
City<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_New_York_City>,
centered on the New York metropolitan
area<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_metropolitan_area>
.

But all Wikimedians across the Northeast US who find it convenient to
participate in meetings in New York City are most welcome!"

I learned now that chapters should not overlap. But in case of dispute, what
principle will be used? "First comes first" or "The majority of Wikimedians
concerned decide" or "We prefer large regions to small regions"? Or "the
Foundation decides from time to time, based on several principles, figuring
out what might be suitable in this specific case?" I foresee a lot of
trouble because of this acceptance of a sub national chapter.

By the way, this word "chapter" is unfamiliar for me, a German. I did not
hear it before I became a Wikimedian. What does this English word mean? Any
sub division of an organisation, or is it rather associated to a city than
to a country?

The word "local" in German ("lokal") means: related to a city. What does it
mean when English speaking Wikimedians talk about "local chapters"?
Shouldn't it be "national chapters"? I consider Germany as a national, not a
local entity...

Ziko

--
Ziko van Dijk