[Foundation-l] Why is the software out of reach of the community?

Brian Brian.Mingus at colorado.edu
Thu Jan 15 18:23:23 UTC 2009

Access to svn does not imply access to MediaWiki. Changes to MediaWiki have
been almost entirely up to core developer discretion, and as I have
demonstrated, 'consensus' has largely implied that they, and only they,
thought the changes made Wikipedia better. The ideas are rarely presented to
the community in a formal, well-designed demo format (as SMW has been, time
and time again), and they are not evaluated for their usability. When a
usability issue arises third party tools are not properly considered.
Rather, they reinvent the wheel in an inferior manner.

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 11:07 AM, Denny Vrandečić <dvr at aifb.uni-karlsruhe.de