[Foundation-l] Why is the software out of reach of the community?

Brian Brian.Mingus at colorado.edu
Thu Jan 15 18:28:11 UTC 2009

The discussion to add a full-fledged programming language to MediaWiki is
yet another example of this. Rather than evaluate existing tools which allow
for user-interface extensibility, the developers would rather embed PHP
within PHP. This allows you to do a variety of things:

* Simulate the brain
* Write MediaWiki within MediaWiki
* Compute any function
* ...
* Write an enyclopedia?

Our neural simulator contains an embedded dynamic language called C^c. It is
interpreted C++. I assure you that it does not aid in usability. Our
software did not start to become truly usable until we tackled the issue of
user-extensible interfaces.

This issue has already been tackled in MediaWiki, and yet the solution to
all of our problems is claimed to be a well-designed embedded scripting
language. This is the largest possible hammer you could apply to the
problem. I can't see how it is a reasonable next step.