[Foundation-l] Why is the software out of reach of the community?

Denny Vrandečić dvr at aifb.uni-karlsruhe.de
Thu Jan 15 18:07:57 UTC 2009

That's pretty much exactly what Semantic MediaWiki offers.

SMW has developed a lot, since many of you saw it. By now, you may
* switch off inline queries if you are afraid they won't work fast enough
* get rid of the ugly syntax everyone is scared about (and simply hide
it all in templates by using the #declare function)
* have all that data sitting there inside the DB and export it in
standard data formats like RDF or JSON (ok, well, the last one is
*almost* finished)

We would be very much interested in having SMW tested on a labs machine
with a copy of a reasonably big Wikipedia (e.g. German).

And, just to take note to the title of this thread -- I never thought
and the developers never gave me the feeling that the software is out of
reach for the community. Access to SVN was swiftly granted, and both Tim
and Brion were always giving encouraging and valuable feedback to us.

Cheers,
denny