[Foundation-l] advertising craigslist

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 19:41:31 UTC 2009

2009/12/15 Bryan Tong Minh <bryan.tongminh at gmail.com>:
> What particularly annoys me, is that the banner invites people to to click on
> them, but when I click on it I get to the Dutch donation page, which does not
> answer my question at all "Why Craig of Craigslist urges me to support
> Wikipedia".

This is a known problem with the way the geolocation works. I uploaded
a patch to bugzilla which would allow chapters to create localised
version of landing pages and have banners go directly to them, but,
despite the WMF thanking me for it, they have completely ignored it.
The UK landing page has a link at the top linking to a page with the
statement from Craig, but the same hasn't been done for other
chapters. I think the WMF is assuming that most people in countries
with chapters taking part in the fundraiser use their local language
version of Wikipedia, and this statement is only being shown on the
English Wikipedia, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem. I don't
know how accurate that assumption is.