[Foundation-l] Email list archives

Pavlo Shevelo pavlo.shevelo at gmail.com
Sun Aug 16 02:58:07 UTC 2009

> For me Google Groups do a good job and it's enough.

Yes, I would support the proposal to look at Google Groups (as
alternative mailing list platform) closer.
As we can see Wikimedia Brasil and Wikimedia UK are using that
platform and perhaps not only them (I'm pushing this platform for
Wikimedia Ukraine while we started from Mailman-based list, provided
by WMF).

> For me the main usability of using Google Groups is for making
> reference for a previous post.
Not just that. Some people appreciate option to reply to the posting
by web-interface (without necessity to copy-paste anything from one
browser window to another etc.).

> ... I believe it's important to maintain
> archived Wikimedia mailing lists discussions on their own server

If I'm not mistaken you mean that in any case (that is whatever
platform will be used) WMF should have ('maintain') archive of mailing
list on  WMF' own servers. Right?

And it that context
> Two volunteers have said there are various scripts for archiving
> mailing lists. I'll ask them.

are you talking about script which is able to copy (like backup or so)
Google Group archive to Mailman-formatted archive to be saved on WMF
servers?

Do you have any experience with usage of special Google group control
defining that mail archive will be out - on some proprietary  servers
(if I'm not mistaken in understanding meaning of that control)?

Regards,

Pavlo