[Foundation-l] Email list archives

Everton Zanella Alvarenga everton137 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 15 22:05:49 UTC 2009

2009/8/15 Andrew Turvey <andrewrturvey at googlemail.com>:

> When I subscribe to an email list I tend to get emails delivered, but I sometimes find it useful to view older emails on the archive. I know some people like to read all their emails on the archive, so this is also important for them. It is also useful when you have to make a publicly accessible reference to a previous post.

We've, recently, discussed about this on WikimediaBR-l and someone
pointed out Google Groups archiving solution.

http://groups.google.com/group/wikimediabr-l/topics

For me the main usability of using Google Groups is for making
reference for a previous post. Someone even asked if Wikimedia would
mind about the archiving using a third party platform. Do you all
think there is some problem?

> The line spacing looks funny with the first and you still lose the text formatting with the second.

For me Google Groups do a good job and it's enough. It's software just
convert HTML formatted texts to plain texts, which I believe it more
adequate for email communication.

> Has anyone got any tips about how I can either format an email to begin with or view the email afterwards to solve this problem?
>
> Secondly, has this technology been developed recently? Seems it needs a bit of investment, or alternatively, we need to move over to a better third party platform like, perhaps, Yahoo Groups.

Two volunteers have said there are various scripts for archiving
mailing lists. I'll ask them. I believe it's important to maintain
archived Wikimedia mailing lists discussions on their own server, but
I don't see any problem in using third party platforms for purposes
such as making easier reference for the topics.

See you,

Tom

--
http://blogdotom.wordpress.com/sobre