[Foundation-l] Why hasn't the LocalisationUpdate extension been enabled?

Naoko Komura nkomura at wikimedia.org
Thu Aug 13 15:13:10 UTC 2009

Hello, Waldir.

Waldir Pimenta wrote:
> When the Vector skin became available, I tried it on my home wiki,
> pt.wikipedia, and noticed that a great deal of its interface was still in
> English. So I went to translatewiki.net and translated the remaining strings
> to Portuguese. Then I waited, and waited.. and I am waiting until today, and
> the skin still has the English strings on it. It's been almost a month.

Thank you for the translation work.  As a usability team leader, I
appreciate your attention on Vector and the new toolbar especially.  We,
the usability team, get really excited when the text in UI are
translated into new languages.  We pushed lots of text especially for
the beta landing page and survey.  I see the Portuguese pages are fully
translated for the survey.  Thank you.

Since the first release of usability features (Acai) on July 1st, there
has been minimum of weekly software update to Acai.  And we updated the
deployment software with up-to-date translation on August 6th for all
languages.  In the case for Portuguese, the text for the toolbar, the
beta landing page, and the survey was updated.  However the translation
for tabs didn't get the update.  We will look into why the update didn't
occur.

As for LocalisationUpdate, there has been a discussion in this thread
already, so I won't get into too much details.  But we are planning to
start testing it in the usability prototype sites for the next round of
release.  http://usability.wikimedia.org/wiki/Prototype  It would be
great if we can work with translators to test LocalisationUpdate so that
the translators can actually confirm their translation appear promptly
after the translation in traslatewiki.net.

When you see a portion of translation does not appear in UI, please drop
me a note.  We often think that the translation behind, and if that is
not the case we will look into why the update did not occur.  Hopefully
this kind of gap will be gone, once the automation via
LocalisationUpdate is available.  But until then, feel free to write to
me directly.  My email address is nkomura at wikimedia.org.

Cheers,

- Naoko

--