[Foundation-l] Volunteer Appreciation

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 07:51:00 UTC 2009

Welcome, Jennifer.  The current foundation-l traffic isn't quite as
vibrant an intro to the community today as it was in 2005 or so.  I
hope you will share your thoughts, even unformed!

For a historical taste, don't forget to visit the nostalgia wiki:
http://nostalgia.wikipedia.org
...and even  http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?WikiPedia

Trends across the life of the projects are important; a lot of us
spend time reflecting on what was best, whether changes since then
have been good or bad for coherence, growth, quality, and fun.  I
wonder in particular why we haven't developed new projects lately -
there are many out there that fit naturally into the original
wikiethos, and the newer foundation mission.

SJ

ps - It is disconcerting to hear Wikipedia and sibs referred to as
'educational products' and materials.   I mean, do we have products? I
don't think the projects see themselves as such; though there are
occasional products that emerge (such as 3D wiki globes... TC/Theo:
can we get another run of those?!)

pps - A general note - it would be nice to see links to people's user
accounts when they are introduced, whether they are advisors, staff,
friends of the wiki, or Editors of Unusual Size...