[Foundation-l] Volunteer Appreciation

Steven Walling steven.walling at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 18:00:03 UTC 2009

SJ, thanks for sharing the nostalgia.wikipedia.org link. I've been a
Wikimedian for four years, and not once stumbled across that. You learn
something new every day...

As for the "educational products" phrase, my feeling is yes, the community
on-wiki doesn't tend to think of the projects *literally* as products. But,
from my experience, the use of the phrase is simply part of a larger trend
of referring to websites and families of sites as a product. As in, the
point of a primarily Web-based institution being to deliver the site/sites
as a product to visitors. That spirit has already been something that marks
Wikimedia projects as different from most wikis I think, whether or not we
literally refer to them that way.

[[User:Steven:Walling]]