[Foundation-l] Schools Wikipedia & GFDL - no direct credit to authors?

Robert Rohde rarohde at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 16:45:30 UTC 2008

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 9:20 AM, Joe Szilagyi <szilagyi at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 2:16 AM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> 2008/10/24 Joe Szilagyi <szilagyi at gmail.com>:
>> > And directly related (I just noticed this, too):
>> >
>> > http://schools-wikipedia.org/images/103/10307.jpg.htm
>> >
>> > From that same F-35 Lightning article, images that were actually deleted
>> as
>> > non-free images. How are we distributing this?
>> >
>> > http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Deletion_requests/JSF_Images
>> >
>> > How closely was this all vetted, exactly?
>>
>> That's unfortunate and the selection should be immeadiately patched to
>> remove such images when found, but I don't think it would have been
>> reasonable for them to check every image and extract of text to make
>> sure it wasn't a copyvio (they trusted Wikipedia/Commons to do that,
>> and it just happened a little late).
>>

> Late? When were these custom pages put together--this deletion discussion
> was way back in August. Trusting Wikipedia/Commons to do vetting and editing
> on something this potentially "big" is just sloppy. Grammatical errors,
> typos--stuff like that always slips through, even in major encylopedias,
> novels, what have you. But flagrant copyright violation images that are
> actually carrying a big bold "This image is up for deletion because of a
> possible copyright violation" notice??

The deletion discussion was started in August, but was only closed
last week.  This reflects the general slowness of deletion requests on
Commons where many requests linger for months.  But you are right that
the big red box is fairly noticable if anyone had checked things
manually, which they probably didn't.

-Robert Rohde