[Foundation-l] Schools Wikipedia & GFDL - no direct credit to authors?

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 09:14:35 UTC 2008

2008/10/24 Joe Szilagyi <szilagyi at gmail.com>:
> Danny Wool mentioned this on his blog today, and I had not noticed it myself
> at first--doesn't the current thing we've created, for example, at
> http://schools-wikipedia.org/wp/f/F-35_Lightning_II.htm violate GFDL? It
> actually says,
>
> "This Wikipedia Selection is sponsored by SOS
> Children<http://schools-wikipedia.org/wp/c/Children_Charity.htm>, and
> consists of a hand selection from the English Wikipedia articles with
> only minor deletions (see www.wikipedia.org for details of authors and
> sources)."
>
> But is this compliant with the GFDL?

The copyright and disclaimer page says: "The original authors or
creators of content from Wikipedia may be found by going to the
article in the English Wikipedia
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page) with the same article name
and tracing content via the page history."

I'm not entirely sure that is enough to satisfy the GFDL. There ought
to at least be a link to the Wikipedia history page on each article,
any that only really works for the online version. Was a lawyer
consulted on this before going live?