[Foundation-l] On Arabic and sub-language proposals.

Mark Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 19:27:07 UTC 2008

I am particularly curious about the status of Egyptian. How different
would an Egyptian Wikipedia actually be from a Modern Standard Arabic
Wikipedia? Of course, there are lots of differences, but many of them
are with short vowels, which aren't regularly transcribed in Arabic
anyhow.

I think it would make more sense to have a Moroccan Wikipedia than an
Egyptian Wikipedia. Egyptian and Modern Standard Arabic aren't hugely
different on paper. Moroccan (a dialect of Derija, the North African
Arabic, according to some), on the other hand, is hardly intelligible,
although again in writing it is easier than in speaking.

Of course, the Langcom trusts ISO singularly, and doesn't actually
seem to debate things like whether or not a separate Wikipedia is
actually necessary or a good idea. I think, personally, that the wrong
decision was made in the case of Egyptian (I realize the decision is
"final" and "cannot" be rescinded).

If we get proposals for other Arabic varieties, such as North
Levantine Arabic or Gulf Arabic or something along those lines, I
think we need to evaluate it more carefully.

While I am of the opinion that Arabic is certainly a macrolanguage
with different languages encompassed by it, I don't think the
Ethnologue (and by extension, ISO) makes more than the most arbitrary
distinctions between varieties, often based on political rather than
linguistic borders. Some of them should probably be combined based on
the rubric of mutual intelligibility, or at least somebody should have
looked into that idea. Algerian, Tunisian, Libyan, and Moroccan
shouldn't be divided based on country as they currently are.

A good, comprehensive study is needed (and probably already exists) to
better classify the varieties of Arabic, because SIL has done a
piss-poor job. It's shameful, considering just how many people speak
one or another variety of Arabic.

Mark