[Foundation-l] A local chapter without Wikimedians

Thomas de Souza Buckup thomasdesouzabuckup at gmail.com
Thu Nov 27 16:57:17 UTC 2008

Geoffrey,

Here are some answers to your questions:

*1. "why the chapter is still not legally organized?"*

Since October, a legal entity could have already been created with the
approved bylaws, but I personally didn't push this forward because a
discussion about another version of the bylaws began around the same time.
Although I thought the approved bylaws were adequate, I wrote on Meta that I
agreed that we should wait until more people could be heard on the matter. I
wrote here and on our Brazilian list that I was in favour of waiting until
next February to discuss whether or not the bylaws should be changed before
legally launching the chapter, in order to give two months for more people
to provide their point of view.

A very important lesson I learned from this experience is that the lack of a
legal structure and its official representatives--which requires us to
exclusively count on the engagement of empowered volunteers working together
in a non-hierarchical way--can be very beneficial for a local chapter during
its early existence. Of course there should come a day when a legal entity
will be necessary and funds will be raised, but the history of Wikipedia,
the Wikimedia Foundation and the first projects of Wikimedia Brasil prove
that much can be done with no money at all, as long as you have many
empowered volunteers. A potential side effect is that without a
legal structure and official representatives, some people may stir up
trouble more often than usual.  But I still think that this approach is the
most relevant we have.

*2. "whether or not the bylaws are legally ok as written?"*
**
Before we sent the bylaws to the Chapters Committee, they were reviewed by
Bruno Magrani, a lawyer from Creative Commons Brasil that kindly volunteered
to provide legal support.

I'm guessing that most of the readers on this list were unaware of the
details of the Brazilian Wikimedia chapter before having gotten involved in
the discussion started by Luiz Augusto. I'll do my best to answer any
further questions you may have.

Abracos,
Thomas