[Foundation-l] [Wikitech-l] FlaggedRevs status/news?

Bence Damokos bdamokos at gmail.com
Sun Nov 16 14:49:07 UTC 2008

On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 3:33 PM, Gerard Meijssen
<gerard.meijssen at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hoi,
> When you look at the Hungarian statistics at Betawiki, Hungarian is doing
> quite well with 99.76% done for the MediaWiki messages and 73.33% of the
> messages ussed in Wikimedia projects. As I indicated, Flagged Revisions is
> at 89,36%.
>
> When you have localised the messages on a local server, you will have to
> put
> an effort into getting these messages on your server. When the localisation
> is done at Betawiki, you can update your server from the SVN and the
> localisations will be available at all the Hungarian projects when it is
> implemented.

As I  tried to convey, the messages needed are already translated on
Betawiki, the one's that aren't: half of them are just not counted as
translated, the other half may not even be used at all.

The local server was needed to see the extension in action: we tested the
extension on a copy of the Hungarian Wikipedia, tried out the different
messages, held local polls among translators and community members to decide
on the best names for the different pages. (Without this it would not have
been localisation, merely translation: for the remaining 10.64% you can
lobby for a translation or you can wait for it to be localised if need be).

I have nothing against BetaWiki, and I hope I didn't imply anything like
that. A note about pure statistics 100% is not always more useful than 77%:
the untranslated extensions are not seen by ordinary users (I don't see any
benefit in extending energy into translating the Global blocks extension
with no Hungarian stewards, or the CentralNotice one to which I do have
access to, but me only, and I am pretty fine with the English interface; the
third untranslated extension seems to be the checkuser extension: again not
very important with all local checkusers speaking English and not seen by
anyone else).

Thank you for reminding us and acknowledging our work, there's room for
improvement still: for some reason two important extensions have remained
untranslated until recently, but please don't try to make us feel guilty for
not doing unnecessary and possibly blind (as in never seeing the result of)
work.

Best regards,
Bence Damokos