[Foundation-l] GFDL 1.3 Release

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 22:03:27 UTC 2008

On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 4:50 PM, Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> == Why wasn't this license available for review earlier? ==
>
> The restriction on externally originating FDL content is intended to
> prevent bulk-import and bulk-relicensing of FDL content from external
> sources. This is intended to protect the autonomy of site operators in
> making a re-licensing decision, and to prevent FDL-licensed software
> documentation from being re-licensed without the permission of the
> authors. This was a key condition for the Free Software Foundation to
> agree to this change.
[snip]

Substantially similar language was in a FDL draft posted to the FSF
site in September 2006.
(http://gplv3.fsf.org/comments/gfdl-draft-1.html)

One of the results was some people importing the GNU manuals into a
wiki.    Though I suppose the  "invariant sections" and "cover texts"
limitations remained that particular point is still addresed this
point.

As such the above FAQ entry is incorrect.