[Foundation-l] GFDL 1.3 Release

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Mon Nov 3 22:09:56 UTC 2008

2008/11/3 Nathan <nawrich at gmail.com>:
> A question about the format of the proposal to implement the new license on
> all Wikimedia projects. Will a local consensus be necessary for the
> migration of any projects, or simply the Wikimedia community-wide consensus
> as demonstrated by a survey on meta? What is the contingency plan for when
> the meta community agrees to the migration, but specific projects have a
> consensus that is strongly in opposition?

If there is ever one area where it's necessary to make a decision that
applies equally for all projects & languages, this, in my opinion, is
it. We do not want to end up in a situation where content from German
can no longer be imported into English, etc. So,  I think it makes
sense to propose this as a Wikimedia-wide community referendum. We can
try to address any strong objections from specific communities through
the process of developing the referendum, but at the end of the day,
some communities may be unhappy with the decision (just as some
communities were initially unhappy with the change to a standardized
logo).

I know that some people have expressed legal reservations about _any_
kind of license update or migration, and we will try to address this
in the proposal.
--
Erik Möller
Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation