[Foundation-l] GFDL 1.3 Release

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 22:04:14 UTC 2008

> * Later this month, we will post a re-licensing proposal for all
> Wikimedia wikis which are currently licensed under the GFDL. It will
> be collaboratively developed on meta.wiki and I will announce it here.
> This re-licensing proposal will include a simplified dual-licensing
> proposition, under which content will continue to be indefinitely
> available under GFDL, except for articles which include CC-BY-SA-only
> additions from external sources. (The terms of service, under this
> proposal, will be modified to require dual-licensing permission
> for any new changes.)

What's the plan for making a final decision? There will probably be
too many people involved to ever achieve anything close to a
consensus. Are you planning a referendum?

> It will be the obligation of re-users to validate whether an article
> includes CC-BY-SA-only changes -- dual licensing should not
> be a burden on editors. This is also not intended to be bidirectional,
> i.e., merging in GFDL-only text will not be possible.

How will that work? If the terms of service have been modified, how
does one upload CC-BY-SA only content without agreeing to those terms
of service? There needs to be some way for re-users to know what
license things are under, you can't just leave it to them since it's
impossible for them to find out if it doesn't say anywhere.