[Foundation-l] GNU FDL 1.3 released!

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 16:54:51 UTC 2008

2008/11/3 Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org>:
> 2008/11/3 Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com>:
>> Ok, that's marginally better. We don't need to delete everything
>> posted in the past 2 days (and the subsequent time until we decide
>> whether or not to switch) we just have to scour through it all and
>> delete those parts that weren't originally posted to whatever project
>> you're on - that includes anything transwikied and anything
>> translated.
>
> No. Please re-read the "eligible for licensing" section and the
> definition of an "MMC Site". Wikipedia.org can clearly be considered a
> single "MMC Site". This doesn't require interpreting all of Wikipedia
> as a single work. Notice that even the definition of MMC uses the word
> "works".

Ok, so the extent of the problem is reducing, but there are still
going to be things added between the deadline and whenever we decide
to switch (assuming we do switch, that isn't definite). It's nothing
short of absurd to have the deadline two days before the license was
released. I told you it was important to run a draft by the community
before releasing the final copy, this is exactly what I was talking
about.