[Foundation-l] GNU FDL 1.3 released!

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 16:40:40 UTC 2008

2008/11/3 Andrew Gray <shimgray at gmail.com>:
> 2008/11/3 Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com>:
>
>> Ok, that's marginally better. We don't need to delete everything
>> posted in the past 2 days (and the subsequent time until we decide
>> whether or not to switch) we just have to scour through it all and
>> delete those parts that weren't originally posted to whatever project
>> you're on - that includes anything transwikied and anything
>> translated.
>
> Why does translation and transwikiing prove a problem? It seems
> entirely reasonable to treat the entire complex of Wikimedia GFDL
> wikis as a single "group" for the purpose of this license - we already
> do this with GFDL 1.2, as people happily say things like "see the edit
> history on fr.wp for original authors"

Reusers of our content regularly say "See the article history on
Wikipedia for the original authors" we don't consider every use and
reuse of Wikimedia content to be part of one big project. There is an
argument that each project can be considered one work, rather than
each article being a separate work, but I've never heard it argued
that the whole of Wikimedia is one work.