[Foundation-l] Fwd: [WikiEN-l] Bot policy for all wikis

Ziko van Dijk zvandijk at googlemail.com
Wed May 28 21:37:09 UTC 2008

I too prefer the order of the interwiki links to be alphabetical by
the language codes. This makes it easier to find interwiki's.
Sometimes for a new article I take over the interwiki's from en.WP,
also then it is better to have them in the same order they will have
in the other WP.
Ziko

2008/5/28 Jon <scream at datascreamer.com>:

> Mark Williamson wrote:
>> Let me add that I think it's ridiculous to use the sorting order of
>> the Roman alphabet for languages that don't use it.
>>
>> I can appreciate the sentiment of wanting to sort people's languages
>> alphabetically according to the native names for the languages, but
>> there is no scheme for sorting all writing systems, rather, each
>> writing system has its own sorting order. It could very possibly be
>> counterintuitive for a speaker of Hebrew to find "עברית" between H and
>> J, instead they are expecting to find it between samech and peh. I'm
>> guessing that the second thought, when it's not there (because most of
>> the entries are in the Latin alphabet, so they can't look between
>> samech and peh), is to look for it under the "H" for "Hebrew" rather
>> than under the I for "Ivrit", but I could be wrong, this is just an
>> example.
>>
>> Mark
>>
>> 2008/5/28 Mark Williamson <node.ue at gmail.com>:
>>> I do think it's unacceptable that Interwiki bots go in and change the
>>> order of interwikis against the agreed-upon orders at each Wiki.
>>>
>>> I remember a while back, we agreed on en.wp to order interwiki links
>>> by code, and it seems that the bots never cared - ja: always came
>>> after nl: rather than after it:. I'm not sure if a different policy
>>> has been decided since then, but bots have always been oblivious, it
>>> seems.
>>>
>>> Mark

> We could just not get wrapped around the axle about sorting interwiki
> links.  I don't think it is a large issue.  I can be convinced otherwise
> however.
>

> Best,
> Jon

Ziko van Dijk