[Foundation-l] Board statement of responsibility

Sue Gardner sgardner at wikimedia.org
Wed May 21 19:33:46 UTC 2008

Birgitte SB wrote:

> --- On Wed, 5/21/08, Nathan <nawrich at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> From: Nathan <nawrich at gmail.com>
>>
>> Are Mike and Sue open to reviewing
>> alternative versions
>> presented?
>>

> "Some time ago, the board received a new draft of its future "board statement of responsibility".[1]
>
> "It is worth noting that this is a very preliminary draft"[2]
>
> "What Florence has now shared is the first draft of that document. We're not at a stage of voting on or signing this either."[3]
>
> I interperted all the emphasis on "draft" to mean that it is negotiable.

Absolutely, that's correct.

As I said before, much of the value of these kinds of agreements lies in
the conversation that precedes them.  The conversation we're all having
now (board + staff + here on this list) is precisely the point. What do
we consider to be personal disparagement versus constructive
disagreement. What do we consider to be a conflict of interest, and how
do we want to handle them.  In an organization that prizes transparency,
what do we feel needs, nonetheless, to remain confidential - e.g., to
what extent do we want to talk publicly about donor names, staff
salaries, internal board discussions, etc. For each of those (and other)
questions, there are legal/regulatory considerations, and there are also
important values-oriented considerations.   It's a good conversation to
have.

I would characterize the agreement -as given to the board- as a straw
proposal. It's a draft, on paper, intended to get the conversation
started. It may stay 99% the same, or 80% or 50%. It's intended to get
us started.

Having said that, I do feel for Mike. I don't think it's possible to
craft a document that will fully satisfy every single person :-)