[Foundation-l] Board statement of responsibility

Florence Devouard Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Sat May 17 08:21:53 UTC 2008

Hello,

Some time ago, the board received a new draft of its future "board
statement of responsibility".

This follows the document presented to the board in April, which was
opposed by Kat and I.

I prefer not to comment on it for now, but I would most strongly advise
that you actually read that document and comment on it. I read with
attention your feedback regarding the changes of the bylaws a few weeks
ago and your unhappiness regarding the fact you were not asked to
provide your input.

I think the potential consequences of this document would actually far
exceed the consequences of the bylaws changes, because the document
represent the statement of agreement which would exist between the
organization and individual board members.

In particularly, it includes
* a non-disparagement agreement (with widely different appreciations on
what disparagement is)
* a very much extended conflict of interest agreement, which would
require a board member to get authorization to do certain activities (as
opposed to merely informing the board and not voting on resolutions when
there is a perceived or real conflict)

It does not include
* a statement of understanding from the board member, regarding mission
and values

Your feedback is welcome, on these three points, or others (present or
missing). I would like in particular to read opinions of candidates to
the board on such matters.

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Statement

Best

Florence